Sunday 3 May 2020

Baking Scones At Home

Ingredients: 
  • 3 cups self-raising flour OR 3 cups plain flour and 6 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp table salt
  • 60g butter, cubed
  • 1 ¼ cups milk
  • Whipped cream and jam to serve / if wanted
Process: 
1. Preheat oven to 230oC (210 oC fan-bake).
2. Lightly grease and flour a baking tray or line with baking paper.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
4. Rub butter into flour using just your fingertips, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
5. Add milk all at once, mix in quickly with a round-bladed knife to form a soft dough. Add more milk if necessary.
6. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly by turning and pressing with heel of hand 3 or 4 times.
7. Pat or gently roll out to a 2cm-thick round. Cut into 4-5cm rounds with a floured cutter, re-rolling offcuts.
8. Place on baking tray, brush tops with extra milk.
9. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden and well risen.
10. Serve with whipped cream and jam / if you want.


Difficulties: What i found difficult was Finding out what knead meant so i got some help by my sister.

Source: https://www.countdown.co.nz/recipes/1862/scones

Final product: It tasted nice and i added onion to make more texture to it... My family tried it and liked it and i felt proud. It smelt nice and i was waiting by the oven just to make it perfect. I needed to make them even so they dont look very even but i tried my best, and accomplished baking scones. Here is a photo of the final product.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kaedun, These look delicious. You should be proud. Good work! I'm curious that you wrote you added an onion. Do you mean that you like to add onions when you eat scones-to make them savory? Thanks for taking time to write your post and share it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kaedun
    You have made some very nice scones they look very tasty. I am glad you and your family enjoyed them.
    Getting scones into a regular size is a challenge for lots of cooks. Have a look in the cabinet of a cafe next time you go and you will see what I mean (I know cafes are a distant memory).
    Adding onion is an interesting addition. Did you add them to the dough?
    See you when school reopens.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Year 10 Writing Portfolio (English)

For my English Portfolio, I am adding my favourite writing work that I've accomplished this year. My work is getting better over time an...