Thursday 21 October 2021

The Red Sari (Post Reading Questions)

  • Look up one new word from the story you don’t know the meaning of, and re-write the definition in your own words.
    Concertina- Concertina Means to Extend, Compress or Collapse against something.
    Example: The car had concertinaed against the truck, The best way to describe the text is the instrument concertina the instrument extends, compresses and pressures towards the other side of the instrument.
  • In “The Red Sari,” the narrator experiences a very different world to NZ. What is a quote from this story which shows this?
    "High above the smog-filled sky" This part of the text is very different to New Zealand, There is a clear sky blue sky in New Zealand compared to New Delhi, India at the time, back then New Delhi was known as the most polluted country in the world because the air was filled with smog and you could even see some dirt in the atmosphere.
  • What do you think the author, Apirana Taylor, wanted us to understand about experiencing different cultures?

                Apirana Taylor wanted us to understand the cultural differences and how they can lead to misunderstandings and discomfort within the Indian culture.

  • Does Apirana Taylor encourage us to appreciate people who are different to us? How so? Yes, Apirana Taylor encourages us to appreciate others who are different from us because in the text we could picture their poor lives and the begging that they would need to do to survive, we do not know how hard it is for other countries and we do not know the suffering that they would have to live with. We need to support not only cultures but their beliefs because it can increase happiness, boost self-esteem, and improve our relationships with others. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Year 10 Writing Portfolio (English)

For my English Portfolio, I am adding my favourite writing work that I've accomplished this year. My work is getting better over time an...