Monday 13 September 2021

Yellow Brick Road (Post-reading Questions)



1. The narrator believes they are moving to Wellington, we know this because Matiu states that "Wellington is where the money is. And you have to go where the money is, ay Dad." 

2. On page 3, what big difference between Waituhi and Wellington does the narrator mention? Matiu says to their dad that, "We'll make lots of money and be rich as anything because Wellington is where the money is. And you have to go where the money is, ay Dad. No use staying in Waituhi and being poor all the time, ay."

3. On page 3, we find out that Dad told Uncle Sam they were moving to Wellington because…? Matiu's Dad said to Uncle Sam, "No more jobs back home." He added with, "Plenty of the seasonal work, yes, but I and Hine had enough of that. We had enough of shearing, the fruit-picking, and the going down South to shear some more. No, plenty of work in Wellington. Plenty of factories." Furthermore, Matiu's Dad said, "I want us to have a good life, a new start, Dad tried to explain. A new start for my kids. Me and Hine, we've always had nothing. But my kids? They're going to grow up with everything. I'll fight for it, because they must have it."

4. How does the narrator’s attitude towards moving change once they draw nearer to the city?
This is due to the signs. Before and during the trip, Matiu was feeling exciting and curious. But as they get closer to the city, Matiu sees many signs making him scared and bewildered.

5. Emerald City, Yellow Brick Road, Flying Monkeys, scarecrow, tinman, and cowardly lion, are all references to what famous book? Why do you think the author made this comparison? The Wizard Of Oz. I think Witi Ihimaera made this with inspiration from The Wizard Of Oz to show the journey of people into a different place, where they will face problems with lots of twists along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Year 10 Writing Portfolio (English)

For my English Portfolio, I am adding my favourite writing work that I've accomplished this year. My work is getting better over time an...